1 pound Great Northern Beans
3 cups kale, washed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons onion flakes
1/2 gallon water
1) Put beans in colander and rinse thoroughly. (Remove any stones or other impurities.)
2) Add beans, salt, oil and water to crockpot.
3) Turn temperature to high.
4) Add kale in the last half hour or so of cooking to soften. (Add it sooner if you like softer kale.)
5) Soup should be ready in 6-8 hours depending on the cooking speed of your slowcooker.
Stir occasionally and add water as needed based on how much water evaporates from your crockpot. Pots with loose-fitting lids lose more water. Adjust salt to taste.
Note: Soaking beans overnight before cooking can reduce cooking time and increase the availability of certain nutrients.